A dish which can easily be prepared in advance for all the family to enjoy!
Aubergine and ricotta lasagna
Published on December 18, 2020 | In Italian | By Flavor Of Life |
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- 2 eggplants
- 5 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
- 250g/ 8 oz ricotta
- 1 ball of mozzarella
- 1 sachet of baby spinach
- 2 tsp pesto sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 50g pine nuts
- 300 ml/ 12 oz tomato sauce
- 20g/1 oz parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/200 C. Slice the eggplants lengthwise into thin slices.
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a frying pan over a moderate heat and fry the aubergine slices until lightly browned and cooked through. You may need to add more oil and you will need to cook the aubergines in batches. Once the slices are cooked through remove from the frying pan and place on a flat dish.
- Place the baby spinach in a sieve and pour overboiling water. This is a quick and easy method of cooking the spinach! Place the spinach in a bowl with the ricotta. Roughly chop the mozzarella and add to the bowl together with the pesto sauce and pine nuts. Chop the fresh basil and add to the bowl. Mix the ingredients together with a large spoon.
- Use a little extra virgin oil to grease a medium rectangular baking dish. Place half of the ricotta cheese mix in the dish and ensure the mixture is evenly spread in the dish. Cover with some aubergine slices, and then half of the tomato sauce. Repeat these layers, finishing with the tomato sauce. Grate the parmesan over the sauce. Bake for 35 minutes.