A lovely colourful Mediterranean vegetarian dish which can be served hot or cold. It can be served as a main dish together with pasta or rice.
Chargrilled peppers with fennel, zucchini and chickpeas
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 zucchini
- 1 fennel bulb
- 400g/16 oz can of chickpeas
- Juice and zest of ½ lemon
- Handful of green olives, sliced
- Salt and pepper
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil for drizzling
- Preheat the grill of your oven to a medium hot seating.
- Wash the peppers and place on a baking sheet under the grill. Grill for 15 minutes, turning frequently until the skin blisters and blackens. Remove from the grill and allow to cool.
- During this time, wash the zucchini and fennel. Chop the zucchini into thin slices. Remove the tough outer layer of the fennel and cut into thin slices. Heat the Extra virgin olive oil over a moderate heat in a large frying pan. Add the fennel slices and allow to cook for 5 minutes before adding the courgettes. Allow the vegetables to cook for 15-20 minutes over a moderate heat, turning occasionally.
- Once the peppers have cooled. Remove the skin, cut open and remove the seeds and the stalk. Slice into thin strips. Add to the frying pan, along with the zest and juice of ½ lemon.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and add to the frying pan. Allow everything to warm through for 5-10 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the olives, the chopped fresh basil and season to taste. Drizzle over a little more Extra Virgin Olive Oil before serving.
- Drizzle with a little more Extra virgin oil olive before serving.