A classic cake from Italy! Apples held together by a light cake batter made with extra virgin olive oil. It makes a wonderful dessert served warm with ricotta cheese
Olive oil and apple cake
Published on December 18, 2020 | In Italian | By Flavor Of Life |
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- 5–6 medium-size apples (any variety of your choice!)
- 1 orange
- 1.2 cups/150 g plain flour
- ½ cup/ 50g ground hazelnuts
- ½ cup 100g brown sugar + more for sprinkling on top of the cake
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 10 g/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 80 ml/4 tbpsExtra Virgin Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extrac
- 3 Tbsp milk
- To serve:
- 1 pot ricotta
- 1 tablespoon clear honey
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 350° F/180° F and butter a 26 cm (10 in.) springform cake pan.
- Grate the zest of the orange and extract the juice
- Use an apple slicer to core and divide the apples into slices. Remove the skin and cut each slice in half.
- Place the chopped apples in a bowl and toss with the orange juice (This helps to prevent the apples from going brown)
- In a large bowl, combine flour, ground hazelnuts, sugar, salt, cloves, cinnamon, and baking powder. Mix well with a whisk.
- Place the eggs, the Extra virgin olive oil, vanilla extract, orange zest and milk in a medium bowl and beat together until thoroughly mixed.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir briefly with a spatula to combine.
- Add the chopped apples and fold in.
- Spoon the apple batter into the prepared pan, spreading and smoothing the batter with a spatula.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, or until the cake is nice and golden and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Sprinkle the top with a little brown sugar (optional).
- Remove from the oven and let cool on a rack before removing from the springform pan.
- To make the sauce:
- Beat together the ricotta cheese, honey, vanilla extract and milk. (Add more milk if necessary in order to get the consistency of thick cream)
- Servings : 8
- Recipe Type : Desert