Pot Roast Rutabaga Parsnips
Published on November 23, 2016 | By Flavor Of Life |
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lb chuck steak or brisket
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ lb rutabaga peeled and cut in a large dice (about half of a large one)
- ½ lb parsnips, peeled and cut in a large dice (2 medium)
- Chopped flat-leaf parsley for garnish
- Pat the meat dry with paper towels and sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Heat a large heavy saucepan over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil to cover bottom of pan. Carefully place meat in the pan and sear on all sides until golden brown.
- Lower the heat, push the meat to one side of the pan, and add the onions and bay leaves.
- Cook 2-3 minutes, until the onions have softened.
- Sprinkle on some salt and pepper.
- Pour in enough water to half cover the meat.
- Bring to a boil, then turn to the lowest heat and cover the pot.
- Leave to simmer for 3 hours, turning the meat occasionally.
- Add the diced rutabaga and parsnips and press down to submerge them in the broth.
- Cook for another 45 minutes to 1 hour until the vegetables are soft, the onions have softened more, and the meat is buttery and tender.
- Servings : 4-6
- Recipe Type : Dinner