Red Bean Hummus
- 3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 egg plant
- 15-oz can red kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1⁄2 tsp smoked paprika
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh coriander, chopped
- Heat the oven to 200oC/400oF. Place the eggplant on a baking tray and roast for 40 minutes until soft. Allow to cook and then remove the skin.
- Place the roasted eggplant flesh with all the ingredients, except the extra virgin olive oil, into a food processor.
- Pulse until smooth.
- Slowly add in the extra virgin olive oil until it becomes a smooth dipping consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon into a deep serving bowl and finish with a swirl of extra virgin olive oil.
- This is a great appetizer for colder weather.
- For a healthy light meal serve with whole grain pita breads and a tomato and avocado salad!