Sicilian Pasta with Sardines
- Difficulty Level Beginner
- 6 oz. spaghetti or linguini
- 1 (4.25 oz.) tin boneless, skinless sardines in olive oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- ½ large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 tsp fresh lemon zest
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 Tbs capers, drained (optional)
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Cook pasta according to the package instructions.
- Open the sardines and drain the olive oil into a frying pan and heat over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant and slightly golden.
- Add the breadcrumbs and continue cooking until crumbs are lightly toasted and crisp. Transfer crumbs to a plate and set aside.
- Add the Extra Virgin Olive Oil to the same pan and heat over medium heat. Add the chopped sweet onion and sauté until the onions are soft and softly caramelized.
- Add the sardines, breaking them apart into smaller pieces. Toss well.
- Add the lemon zest, parsley, red pepper, and capers. Mix well.
- Drain pasta, saving ¼ cup of the cooking liquid for later use.
- Return pasta to the pan. Add the sardine mixture and half of the reserved cooking liquid. Toss to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add a little more liquid if needed.
- Add the breadcrumbs, toss again and decorate with the lemon wedges.
- Serve warm.